Safe Arrival

We arrived in Peyton’s country yesterday afternoon.

Passport control and customs were a breeze (it’s almost like you have to volunteer to have customs scan your bags, and I wasn’t about to volunteer after being awake for over 24 hours straight, so we just walked on through real nonchalantly).  We changed money, loaded some minutes on the phone we were given, and did a bit of grocery shopping.  Turns out I purchased just the right sliced bread for grilled cheese sandwiches made with a toaster.  I am so proud of myself.

We finally arrived at our apartment and got settled.  The outside of the building, as well as the hallways, are nothing to write home about, but the inside is quite nice.  We’ve been enjoying resting here today.  It’s rainy outside, so not a day to explore.  I also tend to think there isn’t much to explore near this apartment.  We seem to be far from anything you’d want to see, but will only know for sure if we venture out.

Ryan had no problem sleeping last night.  We went to bed around 6pm and I would sleep for a few hours and then wake up.  During the early morning, around 2:30 I just couldn’t fall back asleep so I prayed the Glorious Mysteries.  Ryan woke as well and we watched an episode of the Office and I was back asleep by 4am…and woke at 2pm today!  Oops.  I am pretty sure that is the opposite of what you want to do to get over jet lag.  I think we will be ok by tomorrow though, so long as we sleep during the night tonight and don’t stay up too late.

One thing is for sure.  I am so glad we did not bring Ben.  All of that travel, but especially the final couple of hours when we were in the car driving around (we had a new driver and I think he wasn’t sure where the apartments were), would have been so hard on him and on us.  There definitely would have been lots of tears…and I’m not referring to Ben!  We miss him like crazy, but he is happy at his grandparents’ house.

The internet is definitely unpredictable here, so I’m not sure I’ll get to update much.  If we are friends on facebook, I have a group where I will be doing updates.  Facebook seems to load faster and work better than wordpress or e-mail, so I’ll likely be there more than anywhere else.  Just write on my wall to let me know if you’d like to join the group and I’ll add you.

We hope to get to meet Peyton on Wednesday morning.  If they allow us to take pictures, then you’ll see them wherever I can manage to post them.

Thanks for following along!  I look forward to sharing our in country experience with you!


6 thoughts on “Safe Arrival

  1. Brandy Calvert

    Hooray! Jet lag is terrible, and, having done the whole young children plus navigating a strange country, I’d say you made the right call in regards to Ben. We found on our way back that drinking a lot of water helped with the jet lag. Best wishes!

  2. leilaatlittlecatholicbubble

    I love the part about customs, ha ha!! And, I’m with DD, this is so exciting!

  3. Mrs. Mike

    Yay! I don’t think we’re friends on FB (yet) but I’m following along and hoping you’ll post pics here if indeed you did get to meet him today!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s