We landed in Bozeman Thursday afternoon!  It is so unreal being home.  The flights went very well.  Paul is a trooper for sure.  He was definitely stressed out during our long flight (10 hours!) which was very hard to watch, but overall he handled everything very well.  

Just thinking about what he’s been through over the past few days-a completely new life has started for him with entirely new experiences-must be so overwhelming for him, it’s no wonder we ended up in the hospital on Friday and Saturday.  Friday morning I made an appointment with our pediatrician’s office and went in since Paul was pretty congested in his lungs.  I suspected he was aspirating food or had some sort of respiratory bug.  They recommended going to the hospital which I wasn’t thrilled about, but knew it was the right move.  Paul was so dehydrated, but they gave him an iv (not an easy task with him!) with fluids and he got an antibiotic.  We also did a swallow study, echocardiogram, and had lots of bloodwork done.  He doesn’t aspirate (yay!) but he does have a vascular band which can cause the food he swallows to “build up” in his esophagus and possibly spill into his trachea, so we have instructions on what and how to feed him so this doesn’t happen.  Bloodwork came back good, as far as I know.  His thyroid is great and he’s not anemic.  His echocardiogram was quite an experience!  Paul is like the incredible hulk!  When he doesn’t want something to happen, he definitely lets you know it.  He is so strong; his little body is quite deceptive!  Finally, after Benadryl, Adavan, and then 3 small doses of some stronger sedative, Paul slept well so we could get the final images of his hear we needed.  The technician did see a few things of concern, but she said there was no need to go running to the pediatric cardiologist.  The images/videos will be sent off to the doctor and we’ll have a consult in the future.

For now, we are so glad to be back and resting at home.  We aren’t planning on going anywhere for the next couple of days.  It’s so cold out, it wouldn’t be good for Paul’s respiratory recovery.  Plus, he needs to just rest and settle in at home for a bit.

Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers.  I’ll post again with some pictures of the last couple of days.



6 thoughts on “Home!

  1. Brandy Calvert

    Welcome home! I hope Paul feels better soon. I’m so glad you learned about his health concerns so he can get better more quickly and thoroughly!

  2. Chasing

    Yay! I am so glad the swallow study went well! Hoping for a fast recovery for Paul and that the transition process goes as smoothly as possible! I’ve been thinking about you guys.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s